Thursday, October 23, 2014

Blog Assignment #10

Technology around the world.

I really enjoyed seeing the use of technology in Mrs. Cassidy's classroom. It makes your heart feel warm when you see how the students get excited about the comments left by their family, friends, and even people leave from around the world. I like how she used Skype to connect with other classes and people that know about the subjects they are studying. The only thing I could see happening is the students getting off subject, but don't we all at one point or another? You could ask the person or persons on the other side an open-ended question, which may spark the students interest, and their own questions. I also liked how she used technology as a center when she had a larger class. Moving around and to different centers will keep the students more engaged and less likely to become bored. I could see where there would be a problem with students, especially younger students clicking on items and apps they should not be introduced to. Students are curios and we will never be able to change that. I think Mrs. Cassidy handled the problem very well in teaching children how unsafe the internet can be. I think I would take the same approach. Another approach you could take would be to show students how many people see things that are posted to the internet. You could post something asking people to leave a comment of where they are from. This would show students how fast things travel all over the world. There are many benefits to this though. Like I mentioned earlier, students get feedback from family, friends, and people around the world. They may form life-long connections with students, or people, from the other side of the globe. You form a network, especially when you are older, of people that like and enjoy the same things you do. I could see myself using techniques from Mrs. Cassidy's classroom in my own. Watch First Graders in Ms. Cassidy's Class to see the students at work.

2 comments:

  1. Good.
    "the students interest"--students'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney,
    Great post! I did not think about the kids moving from one center to another as a way to keep the children focused on school work. It certainly is a good way to have them switch thinking and it keeps them from getting bored. I enjoyed reading your blog, keep up the good work!
    Ellen Dunn

    ReplyDelete